Try this new twist on a classic Caesar salad that highlights one of the best spring seasonal ingredients - asparagus. You can make this homemade dressing recipe, or even substitute store bought if you're running short on time and just use this recipe as a guide for how to grill it and put it together.
2 Pounds asparagus spears
3 Tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
Garlic powder for sprinkling
4 Slices sourdough bread
⅓ Cup shaved parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
4 Garlic cloves, minced
3 Tablespoons greek yogurt
2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
2 Teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 Teaspoon anchovy paste
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon pepper
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1/3 Cup olive oil
As a note, make the dressing first! You can make this a day or two ahead of time and store it in the fridge too.
- Preheat your grill to a medium-high setting. Let the grates get hot for at least 10 minutes!
- Remove the woody stems from the asparagus spears. Toss them with 1.5 tablespoons of the olive oil and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Brush the sourdough slices with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle all over with kosher salt and even some garlic powder.
- Place the asparagus spears directly on the grill (in the opposite direction of how the grates run, so they don’t fall through the cracks!). Grill for 5 to 6 minutes, tossing occasionally until the spears are slightly charred. I also throw the sourdough on the grates at the same time. The bread needs about 1 to 2 minutes per side until it’s toasty with grill marks.
- Remove the asparagus and bread from the grill. Slice or tear the sourdough into smaller crouton pieces.
Place the asparagus on a plate and drizzle all over with the caesar dressing - use as much or as little as you’d like. Top with the shaved parmesan cheese.
- Top with the sourdough croutons. Top with the finely grated parmesan. Serve immediately!
- To make the dressing, add the garlic, yogurt, parmesan, mustard, vinegar, anchovy paste, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until pureed. With the processor still on, stream in the olive oil until a creamy dressing forms. (This will probably make more dressing than needed, but you can store it sealed in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days and stir well before using.)
Recipe Source: https://www.howsweeteats.com/grilled-asparagus-caesar-salad/